~Welcome~

a little bit of fiction, poetry, artwork, and life in general


QUOTES TO LIVE BY:

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it is about learning to dance in the rain" (unknown)

"Without Darkness, there would be no Light" (unknown)


Friday, November 11, 2011

Day 2 of 15 Days of Thankfulness

Nov 11- Day 2- 3 Veterans that you know and are thankful for.


The only Veteran that comes to mind, is my Dad. My Dad passed away in 2006 from Lung Cancer and I miss him all the time. Dad was not my paternal father; he married my Mom when I was 10 years old, and although I was not his daughter by blood, he loved me and accepted me as his, even though I was not an easy child to love... I made it clear that I did not want a Dad, but he stuck with me no matter what and was always there for me. In fact, he later adopted me but it didn't become final until I was 18. He was my hero in so many ways and I am very thankful that he came into my life; I was blessed to have him as my Dad... couldn't have had a more perfect one.

I wish I could tell you what war her served in... I think it was the Korean War, but I do know he could speak Japanese and he was in the Air Force... not much to go on, I know, but the War was not something he spoke of, an as girls it wasn't something we were interested in growing up. I regret that because I would love to know about it now.


Dad may be the only Veteran that I can name but he is not the only Veteran I am thankful for. I am thankful for all Veterans as well as the men and women that are currently serving. They all have my thanks as well as my respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment